Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Story 7 - The Birth of Garuda


After Vinta lost her bet with Kadru, she became her slave. Five hundred years passed. At the right time, the second egg laid by Vinta hatched. Out came a supremely radiant bird-like creature. His eyes were glowing with yellow light and body was as bright as fire. As soon as he was born, he flew into the sky and started growing. It seemed as if it would consume the entire universe with his strength, energy, and speed.
When gods saw this divine power, they first thought that it was Agni (god of fire) growing in size. They went to Agni and prayed, “Lord, please restrain yourself. Are you planning to burn us? Look, just look, your brilliant idol is spreading towards us.”
Agni replied, “Gods! This is not my idol. This is Garud, son of Vinta. You have mistaken him for me. He is the king of birds, a killer of snakes, a helper of gods, and an enemy of demons. Do not be scared of him. Come with me. Let us meet him.”
Agni and other gods then went to Garuda and prayed to him. Listening to their prayers, Garuda said, “You were frightened with my gigantic size. Do not be afraid any longer. I will now restrain my size and energy.” Gratified by his assurance, everyone returned.

One day, Vinta was sitting with her son, Garuda, when Kadru called her.
She ordered, “Vinta! I wish to see a beautiful site underneath the ocean with my sons. Take me there.”
Vinta then carried Kadru on her shoulders, while Garuda carried the serpents. The entire party set out to tour the desired site.
While flying, Garuda came very close to the Sun due to which many serpents fainted. Kadru prayed to Indra (god of thunder and lightning) and covered the entire sky with clouds. Rain fell and the atmosphere became cooler. The serpents were revived in no time at all.
When the party reached the site, the serpents were thrilled. They played around, toured the ocean's depth, and happily gazed at the creatures thriving within the ocean. Refreshed and delighted, they ran to Garuda and demanded, “You must have seen several beautiful islands in your flights. Take us to one such island.”
Garuda was distressed. After much consideration, he asked Vinta, “Mother, why should I obey the serpents?”
Vinta replied sadly, “Son! This is all because of a foolish bet that I made with Kadru before you were born. I lost the bet due to the trickery of her sons and unfortunately became her slave.”
When he heard the sad plight of his mother, Garuda was grieved. He went to the serpents and said, “Please listen and tell me carefully. What is that thing you want me to bring, that information you want me to get, or that task you want me to complete so that my mother can become free?
The serpents replied, “Garuda, if you can get us nectar somehow with your strength and courage, then we promise you that your mother will be free.”

1 comment:

  1. Garuda is a famous mythological creature in Hinduism and Buddhism. You will see his images adoring temples from India to Indonesia. What inspires such reverence for a mythological bird-like creature? Is it because he was the carrier of Lord Vishnu, sustainer of the world? Legends have been told about this bird. In fact, there is even a Garuda-Puran.

    Personally, I think Garuda's legend will always remain. When I saw James Cameron's Avatar, the giant bird called Toruk reminded me of Garuda. People paid respect to Jake Sully because he was flying on the Toruk Makto, which is very similar to Lord Vishnu flying over Garuda.

    ReplyDelete