Saturday, October 16, 2010

Story 12 - Return of Garuda and Vinta's Freedom

When Garuda was returning with the pot of nectar, he met Lord Vishnu. Pleased with Garuda’s dedication and not being tempted to drink the nectar himself, Lord Vishnu said, “Garuda, I want to give you a boon. Ask me whatever you desire.”

Garuda replied, “My Lord, I have two requests. First, you keep me in your banner. Second, I become immortal without drinking the nectar.”

Lord Vishnu granted these boons. Garuda then said,” I too wish to give you a boon. Please ask me anything.”

Lord Vishnu said, “You become my mount.” Garuda granted this boon to Lord Vishnu and went on his way along with the nectar.

By then, Indra had gained consciousness. When he saw Garuda flying off with the nectar, he furiously attacked him with his mighty weapon, Vajra. Garuda bore the hit and laughed, “Indra! Your Vajra is useless in front of me. However, I am dropping one feather in honour of those with whose bones this great weapon was crafted. Go back. You will not be able to beat me.” Garuda then dropped a single feather. The noble souls started praising Garuda and called out, “Let it be whose feather is this be known as Suparna.”

Indra was amazed by the valour and might of Garuda. He bowed his hands and requested, “O king of birds, I want to know how strong you are. I would also like to extend my hand in friendship to you.”

Garuda replied, “O king of gods, I accept your hand in friendship. What shall I tell you about my strength? I do not like boast about myself. Since you are asking me as a friend, I will reply in the same that I can carry this entire earth on a single feather and fly effortlessly.”

Indra smiled and said, “Indeed! You are absolutely right! Please accept my deep friendship. If you do not need the nectar, then kindly return it to me. The creatures who you are planning to feed with it will make our lives unbearable.”

Garuda then said, “O king of gods! I have a reason to carry this nectar. I am not carrying it to feed someone. Wherever I place the pot, you pick it up from there.”

Indra was reassured by Garuda’s reply and said, “Garuda! Go ahead and ask me a boon.”

Garuda then remembered the treachery and cruelty of serpents to his mother and said, “I wish for those powerful serpents to become my food.” Indra granted this boon to Garuda and returned to his planet.

Finally, Garuda reached home. His mother was also nearby. He smiled and called the serpents, “Look, I have brought the nectar.” The elated serpents rushed to drink the nectar. At this, Garuda stopped them and advised, “Wait. Do not be hasty. It is a divine drink. Let me put the pot on Kusha grass while you take a bath. Then, drink it. I kept my side of the bargain. Now, you keep your promise and free my mother.”

The serpents readily agreed. When the serpents were happily taking their bath, Indra snatched the pot of nectar and went to his planet. When the serpents returned from their bath, they found that the pot was gone. They realized that this was the result of their evil deed when they tricked Vinta to become a slave to their mother. They started licking the grass in the hopes that some drops of nectar had fallen there, but the grass was so sharp that their tongues were sliced into two. Since then, the kusha grass became sacred because it had touched the nectar.

As for Garuda, he lived happily with his mother. He became the king of birds, his fame had spread in all directions, and his mother was extremely pleased.

5 comments:

  1. Also, the snakes had normal tongues before licking the Kusha Grass, the grass was so sharp that it sliced their tongues and since then snakes have sliced tongues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your post. This is excellent information.

    CloudBox99 offers you with the best VPS hosting in Hyderabad and facilitates enterprises to transform digitally. We keep you covered in terms of all your IT requirements with unmatched expertise and deep domain knowledge

    ReplyDelete