Saturday, October 23, 2010

Story 15 - The birth of Aastik


This is the story of sage Jaratkaru and how Aastik was born.

The word ‘Jara’ means body and ‘Karu’ means strong. This means that Jaratkaru’s body was very healthy and strong in the beginning. But he had shrivelled his body due to strict penances and fasting. As a result, he was called ‘Jaratkaru’. Vasuki’s sister was also a strict ascetic. She too had become thin after deep tapas and thus came to be known as Jaratkaru.

Now, sage Jaratkaru remained a bachelor all his life. He would meditate and roam the world. He would visit spiritual places, bathe in holy waters, and observe strict rules of meditation which were impossible for normal human beings to follow. He would remain without food or water for days on end, surviving just on air. Due to these hardships, his body had become very thin.

One day in a forest, he came across a truly amazing sight. He saw some old ascetics hanging upside down in a pit. They were holding on to the last remaining branch of a tree. The root of the tree was being chewed by a mouse. Jaratkaru's heart melted at this sight. Concerned, he went to the hanging ascetics and said, “I hope you are aware that your last remaining support is being chewed by a mouse. When that goes, you will fall into the pit. I am very moved by your helplessness. Please tell me, what can I do to help you? If you can be saved by one-fourth, one-third, or even half share of my tapas, then please let me know. What’s more? I am willing to give you all the benefits of my tapas to save you. Just tell me.”

His forefathers replied, “How can an old bachelor like you save us? Even your tapas are useless. If it were that easy, we could have used the power of our own tapas. But that is not the reason of our condition. We are dropping into hell as our family name is almost over and our dynasty is ending without a heir. You are an old and kind man and genuinely worried about us. So we will tell you about ourselves. We are sages Yayavar. We have fallen from our virtuous deeds due to the end of our line. We have only one descendant left in our family, but he is almost like nothing. Unfortunately for us, he is a bachelor ascetic. His name is Jaratkaru. He is a scholarly, gentle, and gracious soul. But his greed for becoming a great ascetic while remaining a bachelor has doomed us. He does not have any sibling or spouse or children, nor does he plan to. That is the reason we are hanging over this pit like miserable orphans. If you find him anywhere, then kindly tell him, “Jaratkaru! Your forefathers are hanging upside down over a pit. Get married and bear a child. You are our last hope to save our dynasty.” O great bachelor! See, the root of the branch, which is supporting us and which the mouse is busy chewing. That is our family line. The mouse is time, which has not stopped for anyone. One day, it will end Jaratkaru too and we will be doomed forever. Please narrate this episode to Jaratkaru. Now, tell us who are you and why are you so concerned about our misfortune.”

Jaratkaru was shocked at this tale. With trembling hands and tears in his voice, he called out, “I am Jaratkaru, your offender son and you are my fathers and forefathers. I am your criminal. Please punish me and advise me what I should do.”

His forefathers replied, “Son! What a stroke of luck that you came upon us! Tell us why are you still not married?”

Jaratkaru replied, “My dear fathers! I had pledged in my heart to remain an eternal bachelor so that I could achieve greatness through my penances. Now after seeing your plight, I have decided against it. For the benefit of my family line, I will marry without a doubt. If someone offers me a girl who shares my name, then I will accept her as my wife. But I will not take the responsibility to provide her with food or shelter. If any girl meets these conditions, then I will immediately marry her, otherwise not . Do not worry. With your blessings, I will bear a son and free you from this agony.”

After promising his forefathers, Jaratkaru began searching for a girl to marry. But he could not find anyone suitable. Either people would be reluctant to marry their daughter to an old man like him, or the girl would not meet his requirements.

Disappointed and forlorn, he returned to the forest and slowly called out three times, “I wish for a woman. Any being who is alive and conscious, visible or hidden, listen to me. To save my forefathers from grief, I am begging for a woman who shares my name, is given to me in alms, and does not depend on me for food and shelter.”

When Vasuki’s spies reported this, he immediately appeared before Jaratkaru along with his sister and offered her hand in marriage.

Jaratkaru asked, “What is her name? Note that I will not take the responsibility for feeding and sheltering her.”

Vasuki replied, “This ascetic girl’s name is also Jaratkaru and she is my sister. I will take care of her food and shelter. She will be under my protection and care. I have kept her unmarried for you only.”

Jaratkaru retorted, “Well, I have another condition. She should never do anything that upsets me. If she does that, then I will leave her.”

Vasuki accepted this condition too and married his sister with all the pomp and celebration to Jaratkaru.

Sage Jaratkaru and his wife then started their married life in a luxurious palace provided by Vasuki. The sage even cautioned his wife, “Never do or say anything against my wish; otherwise I will leave you.” His wife agreed and started looking after her husband with care. After a little time, she got pregnant.

One day, sage Jaratkaru was a little miffed with his wife and sleeping with his head on her lap. Sunset drew near and he was still asleep. His wife then wondered, “Would it be all right to wake him up? If he keeps sleeping, he will not be able to perform agnihotra. He takes so much care to follow all rituals and traditions. What should I do? If I wake him, then he will be really angry and if I do not, then I will become a sinner.”

In the end she decided to wake him thinking that he might be annoyed but she would help him follow his dharma. So she softly called out, “My lord! Please get up. The sun is setting. It is time to perform agnihotra.”
Sage Jaratkaru roused. With fury, his lips were trembling. He called out, “O snake woman! You have insulted me. Now I will not live with you. I will return to where I came from. I have this firm belief in my heart that as long as I am asleep, the sun will not set. I do not wish to stay even a moment longer in a place where I have been insulted. I am leaving now.”

His wife got pale at these words. Her heart started beating and she begged him, “My lord! I did not wake to insult you. I only wanted you to follow your rituals and dharma.”

Jaratkaru’s temper cooled at these words but he remained adamant, “What I have said once, it cannot be untrue now. I had put this condition before marrying you. After I leave, tell your brother that I have gone and was happy as long as I stayed here. After I am gone, do not worry about anything.”

His wife got distressed. Her mouth dried, her voice choked, and her eyes were filled with tears. She somehow drew courage from a sinking heart and begged, “My lord! Please do not leave an innocent woman like me. I have been your good, dutiful, and loving wife, always interested in tasks that are dear to you. My brother married me to you for a reason. That reason is still not over. My brothers and relatives are under the curse of Kadru mother. I need to bear a child from you. With him only, our species will survive. My union with you should not be fruitless. Then why are you leaving me, an innocent woman?”

When Jaratkaru heard his wife, he replied, “You are carrying a fire-like radiant child in your womb. He will be a great scholar ascetic.” After saying these words, sage Jaratkaru left.

His wife then went to her brother Vasuki and narrated the entire event to him. When Vasuki heard this episode, he was distressed and morose, “Sister, you know we married you to the sage for a reason. If you had given birth to a son, then our snakes family would have benefited. According to Lord Brahma, this son will protect us from Janmayjay’s yajna. Sister! Tell me did you get pregnant from him? We do not want your marriage to go fruitless. It is not proper for a bother to ask this from his sister, but the gravity of the situation compels me to do so. I know that once sage Jaratkaru has said these words, it would be impossible to bring him back. I will not even ask him to consider returning out of fear of his curse. Sister! Tell me everything and give me assurance.”

The sage’s wife then replied, “Brother, even I asked the same question from him. He assured me that I have conceived and am carrying a child. Remember that he has never lied even in jest. Then, how can he lie in such a grave situation? While leaving, he had told me, “O daughter of snakes! Do not worry about the fruit of your marriage. You will give birth to a son who will be as radiant as god Agni and Sun.” Therefore brother, do not worry about anything.”

Vasuki was mightily pleased at these words and he started caring for his sister with great affection and tenderness.
When the right time came, his sister gave birth to a beautiful son. With his birth, sage Jartkaru's line was strengthened and his forefathers's agony was removed. The boy was a brilliant, intelligent, and noble soul. He learned Vedas from sage Chavan. Because his father had assured of his existence (asti) while he was still in womb, he was named Aastik. His uncle, king Vasuki, took really good care of him since childhood. In a few years, the child grew into an adolescent boy and was the apple of his uncles’ eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment