Thursday, October 28, 2010

Story 17 - The beginning of Snake Yajna


This is the story of the beginning of the Snake Yajna.

Janmayjay was deeply saddened when he heard how his father died. He grew restless with anger. Due to grief, he started breathing heavily and his eyes were filled with tears. He took water in his hand and pledged, “I have heard in detail how my father went to heavens. I have decided to avenge my father’s death from the evil soul Takshak. It was he who had killed my father; ascetic Shringi’s curse was just an excuse. A proof of this is that it was Takshak who had stopped that Kashyap Brahmin when he was on his way to revive my father. Takshak bribed the Brahmin and asked him to return. If that Brahmin had brought my father to life, then what was Takshak’s harm in that? The ascetic’s curse would have been true and my father would have been still alive. Takshak is totally responsible for my father’s death and therefore, I pledge to avenge my father’s death from him.”

Then, he summoned his astrologers and acetics and asked them, “The evil soul Takshak has killed my father. Now, tell me how I can take my revenge against him. Do you know any way by which I can burn cruel snakes in fire?”

The ascetics replied, “O king! Gods have already created a big Yajna for your purpose. This episode is very popular in Puranas. It is written in Puranas that no one else will perform this Yajna except you and we know its procedure.”

This assured Janmayjay that Takshak will now die in Yajna fire. He told the Brahmins, “I will perform this Yajna. Please collect proper ingredients for it.”

The philosophers and Brahmins then measured the land for Yajna mandap as per ancient Shastras. A special Yajna site was prepared and king Janmayjay arrived to begin the Yajna.

During that time, a strange event happened. A skilled, learned, experienced, and intelligent charioteer wondered aloud, “According to the place and time in which this Yajna has started, it seems that a Brahmin will interrupt this Yajna and will not let it complete.” King Janmayjay overheard this prediction and he immediately commanded the gate keepers to not allow anyone come inside without his permission.

The snake Yajna began with all rituals. The ascetics started chanting religious hymns. The Yajna fires were burning brightly. Their powers attracted snakes from all parts of the world. The snakes would helplessly fly in from the sky and fall into the fires. Their cries of help and agony surrounded the atmosphere. All sorts of snakes – white, black, blue, yellow, young, and old fell to a burning, painful death in Yajna's . Whether they were mile-long snakes or small baby ones – no one was safe from the rising flames.

Soon, the burned bodies of snakes started melting and a foul smell arose from their charred remains. When Takshak heard this news, he ran to the king of gods, Indra, for shelter. He pleaded, “O king of gods! I am guilty. I have come to you for shelter. Please save me.”
Indra smiled and said, “I have already requested Lord Brahma for your protection. You have nothing to fear from the snake yajna. Don’t worry.”
With this assurance from Indra, Takshak decided to stay in Indra’s palace only as he felt safe there.

1 comment:

  1. It would be illogical to call these stories Mythological.

    Firstly, the word mythology comes from the word "Mythya or Mithya" from Sanskrit which means a lie or deception. Hence from the beginning you are adding some thing very wrongful to begin with. It has been an Abrahmic ploy to warp history , and people keep using the subtle manipulation which will destroy the foundations of Vedic civilization.

    Its best you become more aware of the destruction happening around you.

    Augadha

    ReplyDelete